Filling the Airwaves: Volume Three

I like Wednesdays. To be fair, I would probably like them more if I was a customer of the mobile operator, Orange. As if I was, I would be able to go to my local cinema, with my supersized popcorn in hand, and take full advantage of the now legendary, Orange Wednesdays. Nonetheless, as I’m a customer of O2, the real reason that I love Wednesdays is because it's the day that I typically come to a decision of whether I like an album after its release on the Monday. And this Wednesday is no different.

Even after playing Mumford & Sons debut album on repeat for 12 hours, the last thing I felt like doing was sighing. I’ve been looking forward to the release of their debut since seeing them tour earlier in the year with The Maccabees; and ‘Sign No More’ does everything but disappoint.

Picture the scene; it’s a hot summer’s day and you’re travelling cross country on a train. You’re sitting in the window seat staring out into nothingness. You haven’t passed any sign of busy town life for hours. Your eyes are set on the odd cow, a few horses and mass upon mass of rolling green countryside. The sun is beating down on your face through the glass whilst Mumford & Sons carve a perfect folk driven soundtrack that sets the tone of the journey perfectly, whilst delivering the ultimate feel good factor.

I understand this all sounds pretty deep; however, ‘Sigh No More’ is a very visual album. It’s a record that lets you forget and think. The softy played instruments marry the vocals of Marcus Mumford perfectly. A high percentage of new music that I’ve listened to recently has missed the mark as a result of production. However, Markus Dravs has created a feeling with this album that helps it achieve exactly what it set out to do. It’s not overproduced, and it’s not underproduced. Without sounding cliché, he’s hit the nail right on the head.

So, in cutting a massively long story short; out of all the new albums that have found their way onto the shelves of various record shops this week, this supplies the best in audio satisfaction…

Mumford & Sons
Sign No More
Photobucket